About Notre-Dame Basilica
The Notre-Dame Basilica was founded in 1657. As the number of parisheners going to mass surpassed the capacity that the church could sustain, it soon became clear that a new church needed to be built. So, in 1824 through 1829 a new church, the Notre-Dame Basilica that we know of today, was built under the guidance of architect James O’Donnell (a Protestant Irish immigrant from the US).
The breath-taking interior décor that tourists and parisheners see today was constructed 40 years later from 1872 to 1879 under the watchful guidance of architect Victor Bourgeau.
Although originally built to sustain the increasing number of members, in 1888 construction began on the Sacred Heart Chapel (a.k.a “The Wedding Chapel”) located at the rear of the church. In 1891, the chapel was open to more intimate ceremonies. In December 1978, locals and tourists would be robbed of the original workmanship as most of it would be destroyed in a devastating fire. Reconstruction soon began based on existing photographs and drawings.
Address: 110 Notre-Dame Street West, Montreal, Quebec, H2B 2V4
Telephone: (514) 842-2925
Closest metro: Place d’Armes
Nearby attractions: Place d’Armes, Financial District, Old Montreal, Saint-Sulpice Seminary
Hours of operation
For ages 18 and over $5, ages 7 to 17 $4 and age 6 and under free.
Notes from a local
- The official website of the Notre-Dame Basilica is http://www.basiliquenddm.org/
- It is home of a Casavant de Saint-Hyacinthe organ.
- In 1982, Pope John Paul II raised the status of the Church to Minor Basilica.
- Stained glass windows along the ground floor display the history of Montreal.
(Made by Francis Chigot, but based on designs by Jean Baptiste Lagacé).